SMASH! 2013 Intent and PolicesThe aim of SMASH! (the Convention) is to provide a safe and fun event for people of all ages to enjoy. The Code of Conduct is here so that injury and other unpleasantness may be avoided, and so that everyone enjoys themselves during the Convention.
The SMASH! 2013 Code of ConductThe Convention is organised by SMASH Inc. By being present at the Convention, you (You) agree upon entry to comply with this Code of Conduct and accept all of its conditions. Please note that failure to comply with the Code of Conduct may result in ejection from the Convention and associated events, and may result in banning/blacklisting from future SMASH Inc events.
Conditions of Entry
- Entry to the Convention and associated events/venues is at an own risk basis.
- Persons under the age of 13 are required to attend with a parent or guardian.
- Passes must be worn and visible at all times. One pass per person. Failure to display a valid pass will result in the attendee either purchasing a replacement pass, or being ejected from the event.
- While every care is taken to ensure that events within the Convention run according to schedule, at times this will not be possible. Passes are non-refundable if individual events, screenings or tournaments run outside of schedule or are cancelled.
- SMASH Inc, its Board, Management, Staff, volunteers and membership (including its associates) and the venue/s will not be liable for any loss, damage, theft or injury sustained entering or within the premises during the event.
- No glass, weapons, fireworks, illicit drugs or alcohol will be allowed into the venue and surrounding area. SMASH Inc does NOT tolerate the use or abuse of illegal substances in or around the Convention.
- No smoking is permitted inside public/function areas. Smoking is permitted in some outside areas at least 10 metres away from buildings, doors, windows, air intakes, etc.
- Animals/pets are not allowed into the venue or the event. Registered Guide Dogs excepted.
- Unauthorised, alteration, removal, tampering, or bypassing of barriers and crowd control structures will not be tolerated. Persons found doing so will be subject to ejection from the venue.
- Pass holders consent to filming and sound recording as members of the crowd and/or audience. Individual photography/filming may not be undertaken without the permission of the subject. See "Filming and Photograph" below.
- SMASH Inc reserves the right to refuse entry to You and/or eject You from the Convention and any associated events if You are acting in a dangerous manner or in a manner that may cause harm to themselves or other attendees.
CostumesSMASH Inc reserves the right to deem a costume you are wearing unacceptable and request You to make modifications as necessary. If You refuse to make the modifications requested, SMASH Inc reserves the right to refuse entry to You and/or eject You from the Convention. Public exposure of genitalia, buttocks or breasts (in the case of women) is not permitted.
Filming and PhotographyPhotographs and video footage of attendees at the Convention is generally allowed in all public areas of the Convention. Specific rules and restrictions regarding video, audio, and photography apply to certain events within the Convention. You agree to comply with all directions or requests from SMASH Inc regarding restrictions at any event or in any area at the Convention. When photographing or recording video footage of individuals or costumes, You agree to ask before clicking. You will respect an attendee's rights if they do not wish to be photographed or to be recorded. You agree not to take photographs or record video of the Convention's events, staff or attendees for the purposes of sale or general publication for commercial gain unless You have written permission from SMASH Inc. You agree that, if You publish images and/or videos, You identify the image or video as being taken at a SMASH Inc event. You agree that inappropriate use of photography or video technology may constitute harassment of attendees. You agree that SMASH Inc may determine at its sole discretion whether the use of photograph or video technology constitutes harassment. If SMASH Inc determines that you are inappropriately using photograph or video technology, You agree SMASH Inc may eject you from the Convention. By attending the Convention, You consent to be filmed or photographed by the SMASH Inc Board, Management, Staff, volunteers or their nominees during the Convention without compensation to You. You agree that, by attending the Convention, You grant an irrevocable, non-exclusive and perpetual right to SMASH Inc to reproduce, display, distribute, perform, create derivative works from and otherwise use any images or footage of You.
Food and DrinkYou agree that food items including drinks are not allowed inside screening areas or near electronic equipment such as video game consoles and TVs. If You are found to be consuming food items outside of designated areas, You will be asked to leave the area while eating/drinking but may return once finished.
LiabilityEvery due care has been taken to ensure the venue is safe. You agree that SMASH Inc, its Board, Management, Staff, volunteers and membership (including its associates) and the venue/s are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft or injury that occurs during the event. You are responsible for Your individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Staff are on hand for assistance in any situation, but any civil or medical emergency is to be handled directly by the relevant authorities.
SafetyYou agree that any violation of this Code of Conduct which involves activities prohibited by law will result in the notification of the proper authorities, eviction from the Convention without refund and may result in You being denied entry to future SMASH Inc events. Dangerous activities will not be tolerated. This includes aggressive actions towards other attendees, fighting, offensive behaviour, indecent exposure, possession of weapons and other obscenities which could result in substantial risk or harm to persons or property. Attendees participating in these activities will be ejected from the Convention without right to re-entry or refund. SMASH Inc accepts no liability for any injuries, damages or loss caused by these activities. In the case of an emergency evacuation or situation please follow official directives.
Security PolicySecurity will be present at the Convention to ensure the safety of the attendees, staff, volunteers and venue. Security will patrol the event for general offences and possible criminal activity. General offences are handled by security personnel. You agree that security personnel may eject You from the Convention for endangering the safety of the attendees, staff, volunteers, venue or Yourself.
Weapons and Props PolicySMASH Inc defines a weapon as being any item which is large, narrows to a point, sharp or heavy enough to cause possible harm or any item which could cause harm to other attendees or property. Examples of what is NOT allowed:
- Bladed or edged weapons
- Live steel of any kind
- Wooden weapons
- Liquid dispensing weapons
- Items that shoot a projectile
- Items that look like a weapon in the opinion of the security staff
- Any item SMASH Inc, security, the venue or law deems illegal or overly harmful
Props that are over one metre in length may still be brought to the Convention and used during the Cosplay Competition, but cannot be carried during the normal course of the convention. Upon entry to the Convention, You will be asked to “check-in” your weapons/props whether or not you think they are dangerous. You will be able to access your props for photo shoots and the cosplay competition only.
SMASH Inc would like to thank Team AVCon Incorporated for permitting the use of the AVCon Code of Conduct in the preparation of this Code of Conduct.