Please click one of the links below to jump to that section of the Code of Conduct.
- SMASH! 2017 Intent and Policies
- The SMASH! 2017 Code of Conduct
- Conditions of Entry
- Costume Policy
- Filming and Photography Policy
- Food and Drink Restrictions
- Security Policy
- Weapons and Props Policy
SMASH! 2017 Intent and Policies
SMASH! aims to provide a safe and fun event for all ages. The Code of Conduct exists to prevent injury and ensure that all attendees can enjoy themselves during the Convention.
SMASH! 2017 Code of Conduct
The Convention is organised by SMASH Inc. Upon entry to the event, festival attendees agree to comply with SMASH!’s Code of Conduct and accept all of its conditions. Please note that failure to comply with the Code of Conduct may result in ejection from the Convention and associated events, and may result in banning/blacklisting from future SMASH Inc events.
General Conditions of Entry
- Entry to the Convention and associated events/venues is at the attendee’s own risk.
- Persons under the age of 12 are required to attend with a parent or guardian.
- Passes must be worn and visible at all times. One pass per person. Failure to display a valid pass will result in the attendee either purchasing a replacement pass, or being ejected from the event.
- While every care is taken to ensure that events within the Convention run according to schedule, at times this will not be possible. Passes are non-refundable if individual events, screenings or tournaments run outside of schedule or are cancelled.
- SMASH Inc, its Board, Management, Staff, Crew and Membership (including its associates) and the venue/s will not be liable for any loss, damage, theft or injury sustained entering or within the premises during the event.
- No glass, weapons, fireworks, illicit drugs or alcohol will be allowed into the venue and surrounding area. SMASH Inc does NOT tolerate the use or abuse of illegal substances in or around the Convention.
- No smoking is permitted inside public/function areas. Smoking is permitted in some outside areas at least 10 metres away from buildings, doors, windows, air intakes, etc.
- Animals/pets are not allowed into the venue or the event. Registered Guide Dogs are the only exception.
- Unauthorised, alteration, removal, tampering, or bypassing of barriers and crowd control structures will not be tolerated. Persons found doing so will be subject to ejection from the venue.
- Pass holders consent to filming and sound recording as members of the crowd and/or audience. Individual photography/filming may not be undertaken without the permission of the subject. See “Filming and Photography” below.
- SMASH Inc reserves the right to refuse entry to You and/or eject You from the Convention and any associated events if You are acting in a dangerous manner or in a manner that may cause harm to themselves or other attendee.
SMASH Inc reserves the right to deem a costume you are wearing unacceptable and request You to make modifications as necessary. If You refuse to make the modifications requested, SMASH Inc reserves the right to refuse entry to You and/or eject You from the Convention. Our policy is as follows:
- Nudity or adult themed costumes or props will NOT be permitted. This includes, but not limited to: public exposure of genitalia, buttocks or breasts (in the case of women) – a costume must be worn.
- Appropriate footwear is required at all times. The soles of your feet should be always be covered.
- Very large wings/attachments to your costume (that extend significantly past your width and height) are not to be worn while in the Exhibitor’s Hall. They can be left in the cloakroom and collected for the competition or photobooth if you are participating.
Filming and Photography
- Photographs and video footage of attendees at the Convention is generally allowed in all public areas of the Convention. Specific rules and restrictions regarding video, audio, and photography apply to certain events within the Convention.
- You agree to comply with all directions or requests from SMASH Inc regarding restrictions at any event or in any area at the Convention.
- When photographing or recording video footage of individuals or costumes, You agree to ask before clicking. You will respect an attendee’s rights if they do not wish to be photographed or to be recorded.
- You agree not to take photographs or record video of the Convention’s events, staff or attendees for the purposes of sale or general publication for commercial gain unless You have written permission from SMASH Inc.
- You agree that, if You publish images and/or videos, You identify the image or video as being taken at a SMASH Inc event.
- You agree that inappropriate use of photography or video technology may constitute harassment of attendees. You agree that SMASH Inc may determine at its sole discretion whether the use of photograph or video technology constitutes harassment. If SMASH Inc determines that you are inappropriately using photograph or video technology, You agree that SMASH Inc may eject you from the Convention.
- By attending the Convention, You consent to be filmed or photographed by the SMASH Inc Board, Management, Staff, volunteers or their nominees during the Convention without compensation to You. You agree that, by attending the Convention, You grant an irrevocable, non-exclusive and perpetual right to SMASH Inc to reproduce, display, distribute, perform, create derivative works from and otherwise use any images or footage of You.
Food and Drink
You agree that food items including drinks are not allowed inside screening areas or near electronic equipment such as video game consoles and TVs. If You are found to be consuming food items outside of designated areas, You will be asked to leave the area while eating/drinking but may return once finished.
Every due care has been taken to ensure the venue is safe. You agree that SMASH Inc, its Board, Management, Staff, volunteers and membership (including its associates) and the venue/s are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft or injury that occurs during the event. You are responsible for Your individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Staff are on hand for assistance in any situation, but any civil or medical emergency is to be handled directly by the relevant authorities.
You agree that any violation of this Code of Conduct which involves activities prohibited by law will result in the notification of the proper authorities, eviction from the Convention without refund and may result in You being denied entry to future SMASH Inc events. Dangerous activities will not be tolerated. This includes aggressive actions towards other attendees, fighting, offensive behaviour, indecent exposure, possession of weapons and other obscenities which could result in substantial risk or harm to persons or property. Attendees participating in these activities will be ejected from the Convention without right to re-entry or refund. SMASH Inc accepts no liability for any injuries, damages or loss caused by these activities. In the case of an emergency evacuation or situation please follow official directives.
Security will be present at the Convention to ensure the safety of the attendees, staff, volunteers and venue. Security will patrol the event for general offences and possible criminal activity. General offences are handled by security personnel. You agree that security personnel may eject You from the Convention for endangering the safety of the attendees, staff, volunteers, venue or Yourself.
Weapons and Props Policy
SMASH Inc defines a weapon/prop as being any item which is large or heavy enough to cause possible harm or any item which could cause harm to other attendees or property.
Entering a building
Upon entering a building, if you have a prop you will be asked to go to the Cosplay Check-in Desk to have your prop/s checked. Your prop will either be 'checked-in' or 'tagged'. If your prop does not comply with the code of conduct it will be 'checked-in' whether or not you think they are dangerous.
Props that are over 1.2 metres in length, and props that are worn as part of a cosplay/ costume (wings, body armour, etc.) exceeding 50cm radius around the body, will be required to be checked in.
- We will do our best to check your prop/s when you enter a building, however if we later deem your prop/s to be dangerous or inappropriate, you will be required to follow the direction of staff and have the prop/s checked-in.
Props carried on a person or part of a costume will still need to be checked at the Cosplay Check-in Desk and will follow the prop code of conduct.
Any prop that is worn as part of costume (wings, body armour, etc.) which exceeds a 50cm radius around the body will need to be taken off and checked-in. If it can be collapsed then it will be allowed inside the venue buildings only in its collapsed form.
- Collapsable weapons will be measured at their full length. Collapsible weapons may be allowed into the venue on the condition that it is not opened indoors, depending on the individual characteristics of the prop, and the SMASH! props code of conduct.
- If a personally carried item that has been converted into a prop (for example a bag with wings attached) and does not follow the code of conduct it will need to be checked-in. If the item was used to store your personal property, a replacement bag will be provided to store your items.
All swords or props within a sheaf will be checked with the sheaf ON and OFF but will be measured with the sheaf ON.
- If a sword or prop outside of the sheaf is deemed a breach of SMASH! props code of conduct, it will need to be checked in as usual, regardless of the safety of the sheaf (e.g. a sharpened sword inside a protective sheath.)
If you chose to stay outside the venue buildings the '1.2 meter prop length rule' and the '50 cm body radius rule' will not apply. Once you enter venue buildings the above mentioned rules will apply.
Checked-in or Tagged?
If checked-in, these props will not be allowed in any indoor areas of the convention (For example, taken to a signing to be signed by a guest). You will be able to access your props for the photo booth and certain cosplay events inside the convention. All checked-in items can be picked up at the end of the day, when you leave the convention, or when leaving the venue buildings.
If a prop is approved and deemed harmless, it will be tagged at the cosplay check-in desk and allowed to go inside the venue buildings.
- Depending on the prop it may only be allowed in outdoor areas of the venue, and not within the venue buildings for safety concerns.
Below are some examples of props that will not be allowed at SMASH! under any circumstances:
- Bladed or edged weapons, or metal of any kind such as knives, swords, axes, martial arts equipment, etc.
- Incendiaries or anything that produces a live flame, explosion (explosives) or spark.
- Liquid dispensing weapons
- Items that shoot a projectile, for example toy guns (which are required to have an orange tip). Any projectiles must be removed prior to the convention to be allowed in and any toy or prop guns must checked-in upon entry.
- Remote control weapons/props
- Chains that can be used as a weapon.
- Heavy weighted wooden weapons
- Skates, roller-blades, skateboards or any other similar wheeled items.
- Items that look like a weapon in the opinion of the security or SMASH! staff. This includes bags, or weapons/props with compartments. If your bag is deemed unacceptable you will be given a replacement bag to use during the convention.
- Any item SMASH Inc, security, the venue or law deems illegal or overly harmful
Real weapons will not be accepted under any circumstances and depending on the situation, will be confiscated or handed to security. Props that are accepted must follow NSW law – if it’s not allowed on any form of public transport, it is not allowed at SMASH! If you do not agree, you will be asked and if needed, escorted off the premises.
If you are found to be harbouring a prop that breaches the SMASH! Props code of conduct, or is deemed illegal or overly harmful by security, the venue, SMASH! staff or the law, you will be asked to check-in the prop (if illegal the prop will be taken by venue security and dealt with in accordance of Australian Law), if refused, you will be escorted off the premise or dealt with appropriately by security.
SMASH Inc reserves the right to check in any prop deemed inappropriate or dangerous to other attendees into the check-in desk for the course of the event and returned when you leave the convention.
Prop Check-in Desk
The Prop Check-in Desk is for Cosplay Props ONLY. We will not be taking in suitcases, prams, bags or any other personal items on the day of the event.